Saturday, March 28, 2009

Other People's Kids


I guess I have a reputation of not liking kids. This is a vicious rumor, and I have no idea where anyone got this impression. Oh wait....I do......they got it from me.

It started with a phone call I received about 10 years ago from the lady who ran the Sunday School program at the church we were attending. She was looking for parents to lead a class of second graders and seemed to think Tracy and I were prime candidates. I told her I was flattered she thought so highly of us, and proceeded to give her several reasons why we could not lead a Sunday School Class. Among these was the fact we were a different denomination that the church we were attending. I thought this was a clincher, but Lee Ann would hear nothing of it and persisted. I was grasping for a way to get out of it., when I just blurted out "I can't do it because I don't like kids". There was stunned silence on the other end of the phone and she moved on to the next name on her list.

The fact is I don't hate kids. I don't like obnoxious kids. There is a big difference. I just knew that in a group of 10-15 second graders there would be at least one little snot that would make my life miserable for one hour every week. I am just not wired to deal with that. If there is a job I am less suited for than leading a group of young children, I do not know what it is. I recognize this. But that is far different that "I don't like kids".

I tell this story to put into perspective my next statement: I loved having my sister and two of her kids with us for a few days. It allowed me to get to know them a little better than when we see all six at once.

I had a ball with Adam and watching the wonderment with which a one year old views the world. My niece Sarah is an joy to be around. She is sweet, easy going and has a wonderful smile. She also seems to like me, which I value very highly.

I will stop listing kids I like, since it seems to imply that those not listed fall on the "naughty" list. But I just wanted to tell you that when "Dan" told everyone he did not like kids, he did not know what he was talking about.

3 comments:

Jmom said...

I know that you love my grandchildren and that is all that is important to me.

Laura said...

kids have a subtle way of worming themselves into our hearts, huh? and for the record, all my kids like you!

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.